[Gllug] socket buffer overrun

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Oct 19 14:32:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:03:13PM +0100, Huw wrote:

> > >no. I will google.
> >
> > Also known as TOE -- TCP Offload Engines. Also widely debunked by the
> > Linux networking guys as unnecessary. There's some debate about whether
> > they actually make a difference at all, but wide agreement that if they
> > do, it doesn't come into effect until you're using 10Gb/s cards and above.
>
> when we benchmarked the alacritec and adaptec TOE cards we came to the
> conclusion that they were worse than useless.

I'd be interested to know if they are useless in all scenarios or just
in the most common usage scenarios.  TOE cards are often pushed in the
context of iSCSI, for example, and I've generally been of the opinion
that, if you're going to go that route, you might as well go for a full
iSCSI HBA.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin