[Gllug] OT: sunday times CD

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Oct 23 15:41:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 12:19:07PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> The cover says 'Promotional use only. Not for resale. Unauthorised duplication and use prohibited.'
>
> I respect the copyright and won't make copies. What I want to query is the 'Not for resale'. I have
> not agreed to anything. I could (I assume) resell the whole newspaper once I had finished reading it,
> so why could I not resell part of what I received ?

You're perfectly entitled to resell it, and the Sunday Times is also
perfectly entitled to put bogus, unsupportable threats on to the cover
of the CD.  If people believe them, more fool them.  In the US this is
known as the first-sale doctrine
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine].  In the EU it's
called the exhaustion of rights
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaustion_of_rights].  FWIW my friend
bought about 10 of these "newspaper" CDs this morning in a car boot
sale - they're great for uploading onto his iPod.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk