[Gllug] retro computing

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sun Oct 9 22:34:21 UTC 2005

Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org> writes:

> Fair enough. I first ran Linux on a 486 with 16mb ram and found that
> relatively slow... I should have said "run usably" ;)

You are probably confusing 'X' with 'X-based Desktop' (KDE and Gnome
spring to mind as bloated examples of these which struggle on my
fast-in-its-day Athlon)

FVWM is still pretty fast, y'know...

And there's always the option of running your X clients on a remote
machine with decent CPU/RAM. Then your X server has to do very little
even for a snazzy-looking desktop. This *is* what it was designed for,
after all.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely