[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Oct 25 18:23:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Simon Morris wrote:

> > Yum errors out with errors that do not reflect what actually went wrong.
> > I understand that yum is something added in by CentOS and isn't present
> > with RHEL so I'd hope you'd have checked this.
>
> Is this correct? It would suggest that there is a noticeable difference
> from a support point of view between the 2 distributions if you patch
> them differently.

Well the CentOS people themselves clearly state that they have added yum
to RHEL as part of makign CentOS as a separate distro.

In fact the only differences between RHEL and CentOS are the addition of
yum and the changing of the branding images and text.

Were it not for the CentOS control of the yum updates you would have RHEL
in everything other than branding. As it is I personally feel that CentOS
need to address the issue with yum management that I raised before they
can claim to offer the same enterprise quality that Red Hat do.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk