[Gllug] samba newbie

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 21:25:58 UTC 2005

Working my way through [1] and [2] but I can't get my head around this one.

  Samba running happily on 192.168.5.5
  Laptop (w2k) on wireless 192.168.1.1

I can ping the server from the client on ports 137 and 139.

I can connect to the samba server locally while on the server, but I
can't get the laptop to see it when I try and map the network drive.

  \\192.168.5.5
  \\olorin

nada.  Would anyone kindly guide me to the lightbulb?

The server cannot ping the client, as the client is NAT'd by the
wireless base station.  Is that my problem?

  [global]
  workgroup = MIDEARTH
  netbios name = OLORIN
  hosts deny = ALL
  hosts allow = 192.168.5. 127. 192.168.1.
  interfaces = eth0 lo
  [homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  valid users = %S