[Gllug] Accesing files over the network with perl

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Oct 17 09:01:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 08:54 +0100, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> I am looking for a way to access files over the network with perl every 15 min.
>
> I can't use NFS and I can't use FTP to copy the files over.
>
> Basically what I am trying to do is filter through our inhouse
> applications logfiles scanning for certain entries. The application
> runs on various machines and I need a centralised script that can scan
> through these various files.
Well, if these logfiles are being written by syslog on Unix/Linux machines
just redirect the logging over the network to your local machines.
If they are Windows machines, then Google for syslog and NT/Windows as
there are ways of redirecting these via syslog.

If they are not using syslog, given that they are in-house applications
all you need do is use the 'logger' command in your application to write
to a syslog. I say A syslog, as you don't necessarily need to
use /var/log/messages

The other suggestion would be to use netcat. Cue Bruce.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk