[Gllug] Can anyone spare a SUSE 7.x set?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sun Oct 9 18:27:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 13:51 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Justin Perreault wrote:
> > I am going to look into the first one more but as for the second one,
> > can anyone please spare a SUSE 7.x set? I will provide it a good
> > home. :)
>
> If you are still looking for a SuSe box set, let me know - I have one
> that you are most welcome to

Thanks I am covered on this front I am arranging to receive a copy of
SUSE 7.2 from another member on the list.

>  leech.

Even a baby seeks sustenance from the mother, be glad I am not asking
for potty training.

> But, what exactly is the problem you are facing with a more recent
> distro installing on that device ?

I have been focusing the past year on Fedora with the intention of
achieving a pass on the RHCE exam. With Fedora Core 4 the floppy disk
install option was removed.

I have tried using the RULE project which is making inroads in the
problem however my last version of RULE failed to enable an install. On
last check the site was down for construction as it were.

A key part of the problem I have been running into AFAIK is that
packaged driver preferences have changed due to changes in
available/standard kit. Thus, an older distro might provide a smoother
install and provide me insights into troubleshooting that I can build
on.

I currently have an HP Omnibook 900 (PIII 450, 320MB, 6GB) with a TEAC
CD-RW via PCMCIA and two Sitecom Ethernet card one is the Fast Ethernet
PC Card the other a PC Card Bus. I have been trying to either get the
CD-RW or the Network cards to allow access to main packages. I am able
to repartition the WIN98 on the drive to free up space for packages.

There are additional solutions I am looking at on top of trying an old
version of SUSE;

DSM floppy install with main packages on an CF card via USB

GRUB enabled ISO booting from the hard drive

CentOS as RH Enterprise Linux might have kept a floppy install.

--
Justin Perreault

Better questions lead to better answers-

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk