[Gllug] reading DVD is slow

Pooly pooly7 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 14:26:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

> pooly7> [ ... ] But still when I read DVD, it's damn slow ! 20%
> pooly7> of the CPU is used by mplayer,
>
> So it most likely is not DMA being disabled on the DVD drive.

Nop, DMA is fine.

> pooly7> the other 80% by Xorg (the same when it was Xfree
> pooly7> without dri/drm). [ ... ]
>
> DRI/DRM is for OpenGL (3D graphics and games) acceleration, not
> for DVDs.

Yeah, I figure it out later. TuxRacer runs fin now !

> * Various types of DVD acceleration in the graphics chipset,
>   either to zoom the image or to perform various stages of the
>   conversion to a displayable image. These help with the speed
>   of the decoding and also with the speed of the displaying the
>   decoded image.
>
> * Video overlays, these accelerate the display of the decoded
>   image.
>
> Even without video overlays and DVD acceleration in the graphics
> chipset most recent systems should be able to decoded DVDs. What
> you can do is:
>
> * Switch to a somewhat faster decoder; I find that for DVDs VLC
>   is a bit or significantly more efficient than MPlayer or Xine.
>
> * Make sure that whatever DVD-helping acceleration of the
>   chipset is enabled (if supported) in the VIA graphics chip
>   driver (e.g. the XvMC or VIDIX is enabled).
>
> * Make sure that if the VIA graphics chip driver supports
>   overlays the decoder/player does user them.
>
> By looking at the 'man mplayer' page looking for the suitable
> keywords you can fidn the appropriate stuff. For example it
> looks like there is a 'unichrome_vid' drivers in MPlayer for
> 'vidix', so that looks like a promising starting point.

Can't make it working... but...

> Check also if the XvMC ('XVideo-MotionCompensation') extension
> is enabled in the X server or if you can use the 'xvmc', 'vidix'
> or at least 'xv' output modules of MPlayer.

-vo xvmc and -vo vidix were not working, I should google to see how
can I enable them and what it is exactly .
But, I try -vo xv (not in my man page tough...), and it's working
super-well ! the CPU now is idle at 30% ! You make my day :-) and my
vieo is smooth !
Really thanks for your help !

--
Pooly