[Gllug] Time Travel on Linux

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 02:34:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Daniel P. Berrange stated:
> Yeah, /dev/kmem is a nasty hole and really ought to be put out to
> sleep with the fishes too. From what I read the X server is the only
> user space app that really has justifiable call to use /dev/kmem
> these days, and it sounds like there are medium term plans to remove
> this need.

The X server does not use /dev/kmem; its only real use now seems to be
quick kernel debugging hacks.

(It *does* use /dev/mem, and removing that will require proper
virtualization of the video card by the kernel, something whic is slowly
coming; DRM is halfway there).

Oh, and don't forget iopl()...

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk