[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 17:29:36 UTC 2005

On Fri 28 Oct, Russell Howe wrote:

> The only bit which will probably take some enhancing of the way Debian
> configures exim for you is if you really want exim to respond to
> HELO/EHLO requests from within your network with the box's internal DNS
> name, rather than the public one (accountname.demon.co.uk). So many mail
> servers respond with something which doesn't match their actual
> hostname, however, that I would be very suprised if a bogus HELO/EHLO
> response actually affected anything besides spam scanners.

   I have had the occasional bounced email which appeared to be due to the
helo/ehlo response, but I was also reminded by the Demon helpdesk that it
was incorrect. I suspect that it may be more of a problem in the future
because of spam protection. It would seem that the helo/ehlo response may be
very carefully protected against modification.

   I will probably end up configuring a totally isolated network for testing
rather than dropping real emails, I may have already lost some on Sunday.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk