[Gllug] Shared nothing clustering

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Thu Oct 20 11:41:45 UTC 2005

Ok, we know it's not "shared nothing" clustering, there has to be
communication somewhere...

This misnomer out of the way, can anyone offer any stories of experience
using the (largely) Java world's rapidly emerging software clustering?
I'm not specifically looking for Java stuff, but it's where I've found a
LOT of work going on. A lot of projects are building on JGroups (Tomcat,
JBoss, C-JDBC, a cast of thousands), and there's some REALLY nifty stuff
on elsewhere (ActiveMQ and related projects spring to mind).

I'm also keen to hear about systems that break out of the Java mould,
and run natively on (preferably) a number of platforms. I think it's
important that the underlying communication protocols are efficient.
Speaking of which, does anyone know of a native (interoperable) version
of JGroups, or a definitive reason why there couldn't be one?

What happened to that IBM & JP Morgan(?) announcement of an open source,
high speed messaging solution? One press release and they've vanished.

I could /attempt/ to pull together a talk on some of these things to
demonstrate what I'm talking about, if anyone's interested. Please be
gentle with me, it's my first time ;-)

If anyone has a problem with this post (being near-topic as it is), let
me know off-line and I'll kill it as quickly and quietly as I can.

Thanks,

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk