[Gllug] lots of little files

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Sat Oct 15 10:24:19 UTC 2005

>>> I have a little script, the job of which is to create a lot
>>> of very small files (~1 million files, typically
>>> ~50-100bytes each).

>> I too would be seriously tempted to change to using a
>> database.

mintywalker> The reason I didn't pick a database was that whilst
mintywalker> I'll only be generating them once or twice, they
mintywalker> will get read a lot.  I grant a db is probably
mintywalker> going to be faster to generate, but could it be
mintywalker> faster than directly accessing a known path of a
mintywalker> text file?

mintywalker> Hence optimise for the larger use.

In an entirely unrelated way :-), have you considered optimizing
your financial position with a splendid real estate investement,
a nice, centrally positioned bridge in central London? Because
there is a very special price for you, for only a modest amount
of cash up front as a deal generation fee... :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk