[Gllug] [OT] Apologies, but Penguinista seeks advice on XP <spit> learning books

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:22:56 UTC 2005

On 14/10/05, M.Blackmore <mblackmore at oxlug.org> wrote:
> Sorry chap(es)s'
>
> I've been out of IT (or any work) for a number of years now due to
> disabling health problem (cue strings) and having to look after
> pre-school sproggets. I've missed XP almost completely. So I beg
> indulgence from assembled penguinistas who know "modern" <cough> tek to
> point me towards learning materials - books; anything else? - to learn
> enough to competently deal with odd-jobs troubleshooting PCs, basic
> training etc. I expect this to be 99% windows. Alas. But things look up
> - I converted someone last week. Hey!
>
> I'm 6 years out of any pro networks now and don't have a clue :-( But to
> keep up afterschool clubs and music classes for the kids I need to bring
> in "pin" money - not up to make "a living", just a bit extra which my
> wife can't manage on her part time salary. Full time is out as she has
> to cover family care when a relapse disables me for a few days/weeks and
> can't move :-(( So no time-critical work  either! Jeez. And I was once a
> redhot crisis project manager. Pathetic.

I have a book on Windows 2000 that I would gladly send to you, it
isn't XP but the base concepts are similar enough that it would be
worthwhile reading.

Send me your address offlist and I'll get it over to you.

Sorry to hear times are hard for you currently - emails like this make
me value my health and it just goes to show the fine line we walk
between working and having a comfortable rewarding job and then having
a batch of ill health and it suddenly isn't so rosy.

Good luck

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com