[Gllug] Wifi USB that works with Linux & I can buy online

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Tue Oct 4 12:26:57 UTC 2005

>>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:15:16 +0100, Richard Jones
>>> <rich at annexia.org> said:

rich> Been through a couple of Wifi USB adaptors recently.  The
rich> first one (a Belkin F5D 7050) has a Linux driver, but it
rich> didn't work at all for me.

This hs got a Ralink chipset, but the cards known to work with
that are not USB ones, even if I have seen some reports of
success with the Ralink driver and USB.

However after some web searching it looks like some have a
Broadcom chipset for which one needs 'ndiswrapper' which is a
bit dodgy.

This page says that one needs 8K kernel stacks for the F5D5070
driver, and a USB1 port, to work reliably with 'ndiswrapper':

  http://WWW.LinuxQuestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=2820

rich> The second one (X-Micro based on ZyDAS ZD1211) also has a
rich> driver, but annoyingly it hangs under load - eg.  when
rich> downloading large files, requiring a reboot.

The driver is not quite there yet.

rich> Can anyone recommend a Wifi USB adaptor that works
rich> absolutely reliably under Linux, preferably one which I
rich> can buy online today?

Yes, an Origo ZD1201 based USB stick that work pretty well for
me.  I bought it from eBuyer, it is under their ''house'' brand
and costs less than 20 pounds. There are a lot of ZD1201 based
similar sticks around.

BTW, it is a 'b' not a 'g'. As to 'g' ones, good luck :-).

My nice Linux WiFi notes page:

  http://WWW.sabi.co.UK/Notes/linuxWiFi.html

lists what is known to work natively...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk