[Gllug] lots of little files

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 20:16:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Martin A. Brooks moaned:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>> I hope the files aren't all in the same directory, or else ext3 is
>> going to behave very badly.  Limit yourself to max 10,000 files /
>> directory.
>
> ext3 has directory indexing, it speeds this kind of thing up a lot.

You have to explicitly turn it on, though, via -O dir_index
at mke2fs or tune2fs time.

It's a nice idea; it's especially impressive that it doesn't
break back-read or back-write-compatibility with ext2, even
though ext2 doesn't have the feature yet for some reason.

--
`Next: FEMA neglects to take into account the possibility of
fire in Old Balsawood Town (currently in its fifth year of drought
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk