[Gllug] now's wireless broadband

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 18:20:52 UTC 2005

On 05/10/05, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 06:11:07PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> > Also, who exactly are they?
>
> They're a Hong Kong telco called PCCW.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/02/pccw_now/
>
> Rich.

Now, specifically, is the home broadband TV brand of PCCW here,
delivered over their netvigator broadband platform.  There's very
little satellite TV here, and most people live in apartment blocks
which are wired for cable TV and broadband - and pretty fast
broadband; 6mbit is pretty common and baseline.

Now is a relatively new platform, but people I've spoken to seem quite
happy with it.  It's getting more popular, and will be collecting
exclusive delivery of a bunch of Star (News Corp. in Asia - i.e. Sky)
TV channels from early next year, which should lead to a lot more
demand...

One of the slightly strange things you see on the street here is
people hawking broadband, cable and now broadband TV - outside
computer shopping centers, yes, but also at random cross-roads.  Now
are pretty visible like that.

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk