[Gllug] Re: Memory usage

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 03:55:09 UTC 2005

On 13/10/05, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> Peter Grandi writes:
>
> >Well, OOo is a lot less bloatware than some complain about (here
> >OOo 1.1.5 starts in 10-12 seconds from cold and 2-3 seconds if
> >it is already a bit cached, and this is a pretty low end PC).
>
> *How*? My PC is anything but slow:
>
>         leto:~% egrep '(processor|MHz)' /proc/cpuinfo
>         processor       : 0
>         cpu MHz         : 2992.812
>         processor       : 1
>         cpu MHz         : 2992.812
>         leto:~%
>         leto:~% free
>                                  total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>         Mem:        905900     884792      21108          0      57736     437728
>         -/+ buffers/cache:     389328     516572
>         Swap:       546168      16600     529568
>
> Yet for me OO.o writer takes 22 seconds from cold, or 13 seconds if
> cached. This is on FC4 (openoffice.org-writer-1.9.125-1.1.0.fc4).
> I can only assume that you're running a desktop environment that
> already uses some of the same shared libraries as OO.o. It really
> is bloatware.

Lets put it like this Openoffice when I got in yestarday was taking up
about 10% of the memory and growing and most of the people who were
aparently using it were not even in the office or logged in! I've now
removed OO from the server and I'm running it on its own server. I'm
going to try and see if the extra memory we got will fit in this
machine, you never know I might be lucky!
Once I had removed openoffice the server was much better with plenty
of its 1Gb of memory to use as cache! I think pre-reboot Oo may have
been taking up over 1/3 of the memory and blocking out more important
activities.
Openoffice is bloat ware, Its got a significate number of bugs too,
and all Sun seam to do is put yet more features in to the new version
rather than fixing some of the nightmares. It needs splitting plain
and simple into separte Writer, Spreadsheet, etc. Bit like Mozillia
was split.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk