[Gllug] Removing LVM (RHEL4)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Oct 19 11:39:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:09:56PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> On the topic of LVM I'm trying to use some spare space on my LVM (I've
> got about 84GB unused currently) But unforinally lvcreate does not
> work.
>
> sudo lvcreate -L 80G -n company main
> Password:
> lvcreate -- ERROR "pv_status_all_pv_of_vg(): no PV" getting status of
> volume group "main" from kernel
>
> I think its because lvm thinks I'm using devfs which I'm not.

Why do you think that?  What is telling you that?  Also, what do pvscan
and vgscan tell you?

If you do not use devfs, do you use udev?

> So I'm
> guessing I need to reboot with devfs switched on and then use lvcreate

Even if that worked, and I can see how it might, it would just be a
workaround on what sounds like a broken system and the best response is
to fix the breakages.

> I can't just mount devfs as the error messages get even more silly!
> (Like telling me I'm using the wrong version of lvm)
> Anyway now where did I leave that error message....
> Hense probably the main reason for not using LVM is that not using it
> keeps things simple and  more fault tollerant.

LVM really does not add much complexity and actually makes maintenance
considerably easier if you use it properly.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?