[Gllug] LVM Problem

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Oct 20 11:03:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:27:38AM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> Hmm thinking about this further how about if I vgexport the volume
> group and then reimport it ie vgimport. Either way it looks like I'm
> going to need to reboot it to do it and I would like to know all the
> ins and outs before I go ahead as once its down time is extremly
> limited. If I can do it with out having to bring the machine down it
> would be even better.

> This is growing my opion that LVM is just another thing to go wrong.

The statement 'XYZ is just another thing to go wrong' is true of a very
large number features / pieces of technology. Blinding using all features
regardless of applicability to the task in hand is probably not a good
idea - one must consider the tradeoff between complexity and increased
capabilities.

In the great scheme of things LVM does add a little more complexity,
but in (most) deployment scenarios this is easy countered by the benefits
LVM will bring. Enabling one to add extra storage capacity to an existing
live system without taking it off line is one area in which the increased
 flexibility is handy, however, for home usage that's probably not too
important. The area in which I like it for my desktop/laptop, is that I
can allocate seperate / and /home partitions (to enable easy preservation
of data across OS re-install/upgrades), and don't have to worry too much
about getting the sizing perfect first time around - prior to LVM i've
cursed many a time at making / too small to hold a new piece of software.
Now with LVM I can take space away from / and give it to /home, or vica
verce as desired. This makes the extra complexity of LVM well worth while
for my usage, even ignoring other things like snapshots (enabling consistent
filesystem backups)

Then again, computers are just another thing that can go wrong, i'm going
back to using my abacus ;-)

Regards,
Dan.