[Gllug] Time Travel on Linux

Dennis Furey fureyd at lsbu.ac.uk
Tue Oct 25 16:39:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 03:45:28PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>   Amongst bad uses of Time Travel is bypassing license limitations of
>   commercial time-restricted demos. Such use is not encouraged! ;)
> </quote>
>
> Rich.

Maybe a less comprehensive but workable solution would be to check out
a Debian package called sdate. It lets you run any command as if the
month and year were September 1993 but the date could be arbitrarily
large, and works by setting LD_PRELOAD to a wrapper library as
suggested in this thread. I don't know what good that is but I found
it easy to modify the source code to use a fixed date without being an
expert on that stuff, thereby creating my own little world where
"tomorrow never happens, man". My application was to run a legally
acquired and licensed copy of Windows XP inside a qemu virtual machine
without being forced to register it with Microsoft within thirty days.

Dennis
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk