[Gllug] Simple Postfix setup

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Oct 11 14:17:52 UTC 2005

Garry Heaton wrote:
> Can anyone point me towards a simple Postfix setup which will allow 10
> varieties of <something>@mydomain.com to be relayed to individual mail
> accounts elsewhere? Examples:
>
> john at mydomain.com ...... to ...... john at aol.com
> alan at mydomain.com ...... to ...... alan.holt at yahoo.co.uk
> gil at mydomain.com ....... to ...... gillian at gmail.com

As Andy McGarty says - if this is your main domain, just use aliases
otherwise use the virtual feature suggested by the others.

> I've bought 2 books on Postfix but neither seems to address this clearly.
> All sources I've read warn against accepting mail from outside the local
> network or DMZ, but unless I'm missing something obvious how else are random
> users going to send email to anyone using the domain?

The warnings are to do with people sending mail *through* you. That is,
if you let anyone connect and send mail from john at mydomain.com to the
rest of the world then you'll rapidly get exploited by spammers.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk