[Gllug] socket buffer overrun

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Oct 19 12:58:02 UTC 2005

Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 12:36:31PM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:

>  >
>  > That point is excellently put. I don't think "just fucking google it"
>  > helps anyone very much.
>
> Maybe so but I don't want that to be the main point in my message. That
> was a small note and Peter did provide useful help and points, which I'd
> like to thank him for. I've noticed a couple of detrimental messages in
> his direction. I don't know the guy or know what the problem is so I'll
> keep out of it! :-)

Ben,

Indeed, I wasn't trying to change the focus of the thread or make a
point in particular. Peter gave some great advice, but very often in
other Linux forums we see that kind of sarcasm creeping in which
detracts from the help people give. You don't see it so much on GLLUG

Also if someone Googles for the subject 2 years in the future for the
same problem you are having I don't think the message "just fucking
google it" will reflect so well on Peter

> I think the gllug mailing list is really good for the number of helpful
> replies and the general lack of point-scoring.

So do I. It is the best list I'm subscribed to for being friendly and
open and all of that Jazz. Being subscribed to a few different LUG lists
we probably don't appreciate all of the clever chaps we have on here

> sm~: this truely isn't directed at you so please do not take this
> message in that way.

Sure, I didn't anyway.

Nice outside - time for food :)

~sm