[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Oct 21 16:19:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Alain Williams wrote:

> Cantos take the RH source RPMs and recompile them. The only changes that they
> make are to remove some RH trade/copyrighted stuff like logos.
>
> IE there is no real difference.

There is a difference but it's not in the software but rather in the lack
of proper infrastructure to support the distro.

A client of mine discovered this the hard way a few days ago when the 4.2
release came out. Against my advise he had set up a cron job to
automatically run "yum update" every morning and it tried to upgrade from
4.1 to 4.2.

While the upgrade did work it changed things and seemed to break
something. The problem arose when trying to verify that the update had run
properly as yum was unable to run after about 8.30am as the CentOS folks
had issued the update without bothering to get all the mirrors sync'd.

Consequently many CentOS users found that yum didn't work or that the
update failed or otherwise things went wrong and yum doesn't give decent
error messages.

This wasn't a problem with the distro but rather a reflection of the fact
that CentOS doesn't have competent release management and the team don't
understand online distribution issues.

For me this meant half a morning wasted investigating the cause of the
problem and getting my customers site back online (a change to the mysql
server meant that the customer's custom config wouldn't start).

The response from the CentOS folks on their irc channel to the yum problem
was "wait a day or two for the mirrors to catch up". That's not acceptable
in an enterprise distro.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/	 2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month
http://www.linuxadsl.co.uk/	   ADSL routers from £21.98