[Gllug] [OT] Celeron, Celeron D, Northwood, Prescott

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 20:30:11 UTC 2005

I have a motherboard going spare and I plan to build myself a new PC
this weekend (regular readers will recall I trashed a Celeron chip a
while back but I still have the mobo it came with).

I need to buy a processor (socket 478) to fit. The mobo handbook says
"Intel celeron, Northwood processors in the 478-pin package (with
0.8V~1.6V voltage)"

Looking around I see various types of 478 chips - Celerons, Celeron Ds,
and for the P4s Prescotts as well as Northwoods.

Confusingly I have read on google both that Prescotts are
interchangeable for Northwoods and also that they have a different form
factor. Can someone clarify? I know that a Prescott has a longer
pipeline and bigger cache etc - it's not the tech I want, just the
purely practical stuff about whether it will fit in the hole(s)!

Also, does a Celeron D have a different form factor from a Celeron or is
it just a better chip in the same size?

Many thanks

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk