[Gllug] socket buffer overrun

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Oct 19 16:37:45 UTC 2005

Peter Grandi wrote:
>  >>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:58:02 +0100, Simon Morris
>  >>> <simon.morris at cmtww.com> said:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> simon.morris> That point is excellently put. I don't think "just
> simon.morris> fucking google it" helps anyone very much. [ ... ]
>
>  >> Maybe so but I don't want that to be the main point in my
>  >> message. That was a small note and Peter did provide useful
>  >> help and points, which I'd like to thank him for. I've
>  >> noticed a couple of detrimental messages in his direction. I
>  >> don't know the guy or know what the problem is so I'll keep
>  >> out of it! :-)
>
> simon.morris> Ben, Indeed, I wasn't trying to change the focus
> simon.morris> of the thread or make a point in particular.
>
> Really? You singled out a link out of nine, selectively quoted
> out the other eight, which I spent some amount of time finding
> and checking, and based your whole post on just the URL of that
> single one, and now you write this? Keep up the ''good work''!

I personally appreciate the length and depth that you research your
answers and I'm not doubting the technical information that you passed
onto Ben and the rest of the list. It's valuable.

My point was that link to justfuckinggoogleit.com and remarks such as
"However thanks for your inner confidence that people willing to
help you are psychic. :-)" are mildly amusing but not overly helpful to
anyone. It smacks of sarcasm. (Yes - I did see the smiley face)

> simon.morris> Peter gave some great advice, but very often in
> simon.morris> other Linux forums we see that kind of sarcasm
> simon.morris> creeping in which detracts from the help people
> simon.morris> give.
>
> Ah I notice that too. And much worse, as recently on this list,
> messages that contain no help and things are rather viler than
> humour or sarcasm.
>
> The kind of attitude that one sees on some help newsgroups or
> lists or channels is more of the "crackpot" Nix sort, where some
> people have a kind of holy "I-say-so" attitude towards those
> they consider uppity.

How is Nix relevant to this thread or discussion? I don't understand why
you are calling him a crackpot when it isn't at all relevant to this
thread about "socket buffer overrun" or your overbearing sarcastic manner.

> But please note that there is a difference between humour and
> sarcasm, and perhaps one should be making allowance for the
> difficulty of a narrow bandwidth medium like this before jumping
> to conclusions as to which is which -- but then there are some
> people who seem to assume that they can read my thoughts and are
> qualified psychologists too.

I agree. Jumping to conclusions about posts made to a mailing list would
be silly indeed.

> That link above was a humourous way to convey diplomatically a
> message that perhaps should have been worded more bluntly.

Why should it be worded more bluntly? The OP didn't post a question that
was blatantly obvious to everyone on the list.. had been discussed on
list recently and the question was technically well put.

[snip]

> simon.morris> You don't see it so much on GLLUG
>
> ''Thanks'' for rushing to make similar points about what seemed
> to me gratuitous and derangedly paranoid and arguably defamatory
> comments posted by someone else recently.

Again, I don't understand. You appear to be distracted about a subject
that isn't relevant to this thread (or sub-thread that has spawned from
it). Without knowing what you are referring to it is impossible for me
to comment on that paragraph.

> simon.morris> Also if someone Googles for the subject 2 years in
> simon.morris> the future for the same problem you are having I
> simon.morris> don't think the message "just fucking google it"
> simon.morris> will reflect so well on Peter
>
> Well, perhaps you believe that the message in my article could
> be so summarized, but perhaps other people with a more realistic
> view like Ben himself think differently. ''Thanks'' again for
> your fair and balanced views.

You seem unduly upset by a small amount of criticism. Sorry if you are
actually that offended but I simply remarked that there isn't the need
to tell people to google for things that aren't painfully obvious.

Rgds

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk