[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Sep 8 15:47:05 UTC 2005

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, paul at thinksolution.net prattled cheerily:
>> I'm always surprised that people who remember the days of micro's
>> dont want to catch up with the rest of the world.
>
> I've moved beyond it. I went through my graphics-freak
> ooh-look-it's-GUI-it-must-be-cool phase when I was about fifteen, when

I think that exposure to GUIs between the ages of 5 and 15 is a Good
Thing; it usually means that when you finally see someone using all 10
input fingers concurrently you Get It pretty quickly.

> Windows 2 was new and Linux hadn't been thought of. Now I run X as a
> way

Grief! I believe my first "cool GUI" experience involved the AMX Mouse
on a BBC. I even wrote software for it...

> to get tiny fonts and lots of colours and tabbed konsoles and session
> management and the occasional bit of GUI here and there, for those
> programs which actually benefit from it. (e.g. the book classification

I find w3m provides most of the GUIness I need when I need it - the
ability to display images on a text console is one Monster Hack and well
worth supporting...

> program I'm classifying my library with, Tellico, which can display the
> cover of your book if you can't remember what the book looks like.
> That's a good use of graphics, because you can't do it with text
> at all.)

Ooh. Now, if I didn't have most of my library wrapped in plastic and in
deep storage, I might try that...

[These days, I use "less" to read books on a laptop wherever possible. I
get to choose the font and the font size, the pagination is irrelevant,
I can use Search to find the previous reference to that d'd character to
work out what was going on, and 1000 books weigh 1.6kg.]

>> In my text I am refering to the look and feel of mutt and the fact
>> that things have moved on now. We all own mice
>
> I have one (1) trackball on one of my machines, and either two or six or
> fifteen[1] machines wih no mouse, keyboard or display whatsoever. The
> only mice I own are in the waste-hardware box in case of trackball
> failure (which had better never happen given the amount the combined
> keyboard-and-trackball cost me).

Which is the keyboard+trackball - sounds interesting as a means of
reducing desk space - and does it make Proper Clicking Noises?

> Note that moving your hand from the keyboard to the mouse is difficult
> and slow compared to hopping between keys. Since you *know* you'll be
> using the keyboard when using an email program, unless you compose
> emails with the mouse, why not stick with the same input device and
> speed everything up and reduce RSI? (Composing emails with a pointing

Indeed, if you're in a position of authority in an organisation that
requires people to use computers, promoting "not using the mouse" will
be a wise Health and Safety decision ;->

[snip some more]

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml