[Gllug] port forwarding and port translation

Croker, Grant Grant.Croker at ca.com
Thu Sep 1 08:41:25 UTC 2005

On
> Behalf Of gilbert francourt
> Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:36 PM
> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
> Subject: [Gllug] port forwarding and port translation
>
> My names Gil. I'm new to Linux. I've joined because I'm getting more
> interested in the 'nuts and bolts' of it all. At the moment I'm trying
> to find a decent modem router as my cheapo one has died. I'm on the
> verge of getting the NetGear DG834, but I was wondering if there were
> better (inexpensive!) ones that anyone could suggest. I came across a
> web page that said Netgear products don't do 'port translation', which
> apparently would make running home servers awkward.
>
> However, I've read the PDF manual on this model and it says that port
> forwarding can be done. Is this the same as 'port translation'?
>
> I want to attempt building a server some time, so it seems that the
> Netgear is off the menu. Or is it?

Hi,

I have a DG834 installed at home and have in the past run a Debian
laptop as an SMTP mail and web server. All I did was open up port 25 and
direct it at the IP of the machine. If you are feeling braver you can
assign an IP as being in the DMZ (de-militarised zone). That IP will be
passed all requests to your DG834 that are not satisfied by existing
port forward rules.

Regards,

grant

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk