[Gllug] /boot/boot/boot/boot

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 19:57:30 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Tue 06 Sep, Dylan wrote:

>>Just why does it link to itself?

Technically it doesn't, it links to its parent i.e. /boot/boot -> .
which is /boot. A symlink which literally links to itself is rarely useful:)

>    Could it be something to do with having the option of a separate /boot
> partition that is not actually within the main / partition?

Yes, it's so that if /boot is a filesystem a bootloader which expects to
find a directory called "boot" at the root of the filesystem can do so.

I believe grub may require this if /boot is a filesystem, as grub,
unlike lilo, can read filesystems.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk