[Gllug] /boot/boot/boot/boot

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Sep 7 13:25:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005, Robert Newson announced authoritatively:

>> Technically it doesn't, it links to its parent i.e. /boot/boot -> . which is /boot.
>
> errrm, If it linked to its parent, it would link: /boot/boot -> ..

That symlink links to the parent of its containing directory.

> Linking to itself would be /boot/boot -> .

No, that's a symlink which links to its containing directory (i.e., its parent).

A symlink which links *to itself*, e.g.

lrwxrwxrwx  1 nix users 4 Sep  7 14:25 blah -> blah

is rarely useful. :)

--
`... published last year in a limited edition... In one of the
 great tragedies of publishing, it was not a limited enough edition
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk