[Gllug] diff of two functions

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 23:21:30 UTC 2005

Martin N Stevens writes:

>I've got two functions in a file and I want to compare them, is diff
>the best way to do this and how, or is there some funky function in
>vim ?
>
> [...]
>
>What are the differences ? can diff do diff on the same file but
>between two groups of line numbers ?

A combination of vi, bash process substitution and diff can get you
what you want:

	:!diff <(tail +6 % | head -4) <(tail +15 % | head -5)

This assumes that func1 starts on line 6 and is 4 lines long, and that
func2 starts on line 15 and is 5 lines long.

But in reality, it's probably quicker to set a couple of marks, write
out each function to separate temp files, and diff them there. Counting
lines is just tedious.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk