[Gllug] webmin substitute

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Fri Sep 16 13:23:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 18:04 +0100, paul wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 18:45, you wrote:
> > What doesn't webmin do for you, or are you just looking for
> comparison?
>
> yes just a comparison, really. I don't much like webmin for the
> reason you stated which was that it doesnt present all the options
> available.

Well - my comment about web based configuration systems not presenting
all of the available options applied to Webmin as much as any other
system. I would think that Webmin is probably the best of this breed of
applications

> Also it seems like a security nightmare.

Well.. it takes the root password over SSL for authentication IIRC.

> I suppose I just
> wanted a quick way to configure DNS and hoped it would do the job
> but no such luck.

You should be able to do this in Webmin.. why not read the TLDP document
on how to configure DNS and look at the examples in /usr/share/doc/bind*

and then ask here when/if you get stuck.

Apart from some attention to syntax DNS isn't too hard to get going

Thanks

~sm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk