[Gllug] [OT] TFT displays

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:17:37 UTC 2005

> > >AFAIK, there is no "DRM" after the decoding bit.
> >
> > Apparently some of the satellite channels are experimenting with methods
> > of DRM to prevent digital duplication of their content.  Of course,
> > analogue copies will still work.
>
> It's daft isnt it, unless they put potted DRM hardware in our eyes and
> ears then we can copy and use anything. Even if we need a proprietry
> video/audio player, we just hook it up to a RF tv out cable, tsk, silly
> drm people :-)

Well they haven't cottoned on to the fact that the reason mass
copyright infringement is possible is not because the original format
is digital instead of analogue but because all resulting copies are in
digital format and thus do not degrade with further copying.

So as you say just copy the digital via an analogue method then
digitise the result - yes there will be a quality hit but only once.
All subsequent copies will be true to the first digitised version.

That is where digital and analogue differ in quality - making
subsequent copies of copies.

Of course one day you will only have digital outputs and no means to
play anything that is not using DRM. Well that's what the content
hoarders hope.

Cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk