[Gllug] [OT] TFT displays

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 20:49:56 UTC 2005

Chris Bell writes:

>   Terrestrial digital is available now, with high quality and more
>channels. I am in a poor reception area for analogue, the wrong side of a
>hill and with moving multipath reflections (my aerial points straight along
>the A40), but there are very few glitches on digital.

I get completely the opposite. I'm also in a poor reception area.
Analogue signals mostly work OK, and degrade nicely when they don't
(a bit of snow here and there, slightly fuzzy sound occasionally).
Digital signals on the other hand are full of glitches, and have
terrible degredation characteristics. Even just a rain shower is
enough to completely lose the audio, and cause the image to freeze
for several seconds, which effectively makes it unwatchable. It'll
be a sad day when analogue broadcasts are turned off. I understand
that they've sacrificed some redundancy in the signal in order to
try and fit more channels into the available bandwidth, but from my
experience, I'd say they've taken it a bit too far.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk