[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 11:53:12 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:

>    I assume that ferrite inductors can be used for filtering, and with care
> could be used to protect the thyristor and allow time for the fuse to blow.

That's not really an effective method - you just have to rely on the
robustness of modern thyristors.  A triac will fail in microseconds, a
thyristor takes milliseconds - you can get fuses that are fast enough
for thyristors, but not for triacs.

When it comes to power supplies and modulators in the RF world, ferrites
can be used, but they're pretty nasty when you're trying to filter lots
of harmonic energy - they can get spectacularly hot (I've seen them glow
cherry-red before they explode!).  My approach is to slow the risetime
of the waveform, which radically reduces the harmonic content.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk