[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 14:17:00 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:

>    Ferrites only work properly at high frequencies, so I would have assumed
> that when correctly specified should be ideal for the job.

Nice thought, but ferrites are (generally) very lossy - those losses
turn into heat....

>    I have been using variable output electronic flash, a discharge tube that
> can be switched off. My portable units work over a range of several stops
> without doing a power dump, but not sure about the 250 joule mains powered
> units. The longest flash time is less than a millisecond, so the shortest is
> probably a few microseconds. I do not have circuit diagrams.

The circuit will work by dumping the charge in a capacitor across the
tube.  Theoretically, if the tube was shorted, you could destroy the
thyristor, but this is unlikely.  The instantaneous discharge current
from the capacitor across the tube will be quite high, so you'll have
quite a high current-rated thyristor.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk