[Gllug] Bug in grep? Surely not ...

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 15:13:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 03:40:51PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> I think the problem is line buffering mode.  It seems like grep turns
> on line buffering when it detects the output is a tty, but turns it
> off otherwise.  That combined with the fact that for some reason this
> regexp is slow to run accounts for it.  It did work, but took ages (10
> mins) on my 1 GHz machine.  That's is very slow.

UTF8 locale? Recently GNU grep has had major improvements in speed on
UTF8 locales, but it's still quite slow...

If your input is stored in a file, I'd tell grep to look at the file
rather than feed it in on stdin. Then it at least has the ability to do
things like mmap() and seeking if it so desires.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk