[Gllug] Looking for a printer recommendation

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 09:50:26 UTC 2005

If you need cheap colour as an alternative to a workhorse laser, then probably
the best solution is to ask the alternative and recycled cartridge suppliers,
what they support.

I hate having to buy toner for lasers due to the cost, but whenever I
calculate it, it is far cheaper than inkjets.

I almost cut up an inkjet to extend for a one-off A2 job, but in the end ebay
was cheaper than I expected.

On Saturday, the computer shows all seemed to be selling a continuous ink
system for an Epson R300. This was expensive at about £50 a shot and £2.5 for
a bucket of ink, but this was also being used by the stalls that were
churning out prints to sell glossy paper.

My only advice is don't do what I did. I bought lots and lots of cartridges in
a rush of blood to the brain, thinking I would always have a spare for a
cheap HP inkjet. I use them infrequently (about 20 pages a month for a
particular job). Changing the first few was no problem. Unfortunately they
are all now years beyond their use by date and everyone I have since tried is
either blocked or missing a few lines. Mainly the magenta ink.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk