[Gllug] find how much RAM is available.

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Sep 29 13:34:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 22:34 +0100, Pooly wrote:
> 2005/9/28, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk>:
> >
> > As for the best place to buy RAM for a laptop, I usually find that
> > few retail stores can stock all the different variations of SODIMMs
> > and so tend to use mail order.
> >

> I rarely deal with hardware, and I tend to be quickly confused by all
> the option... DDR, Mhz, number of pins, parity and so on...
> How can I be sure what to buy ?
> I have : 256Mo,DDR,333,CL2.5 written at the bottom and,
> PC2700S-2533-0-A1 above. (It's an Acer Aspire 1353LM laptop)
> any help appreciated :-)

>From my experience so far with DDR it should under-clock itself if you
get ram that is better than you need. To find the specifics of what ram
you can use go to Acers' website and lookup your laptop. Failing that
send Acer an email requesting what Ram modules will work in your laptop.

I do not know if it is still the case, but there used to be lots of
restrictions on doing work yourself should your laptop still be under
warranty. Even for silly things like changing ram.

I also do not know what the negative effect of incompatible DDR could
be. On older ram designs I have had refusal to boot up to MB/Ram being
fried (desktop systems not laptops)

For a place to get ram I recommend www.CEX.co.uk they have a shop
located on TCR. They will also buy ram so you might be able to get
exchange value for the piece you have after you get you new ram. Their
warranty on all their used product is 1 Year.

--
Justin Perreault

Better questions lead to better answers-

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk