[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Sun Sep 11 16:34:03 UTC 2005

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005, Rich Walker gibbered uncontrollably:
>> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

>> It does it on the console as well. *That* one really surprised me. I
>> can't remember if you need to be running an fbdev or not.
>
> What?
>
> *digs at code*
>
> Yes, it's using the fb (which explains why I've never seen it: I've never
> run an fb and don't plan to until it stops torpedoing acceleration in X).

I can't remember the circumstances under which I found myself
discovering it - but it was quite a shock...

>>> If you wait a week I'll have given it a remote dcop interface. Wait another
>>> week and I'll have it tied into XEmacs. :)
>>
>> AAAARggggh... Wrong Emacs Fork ... gibber ....
>
> Sorry, I'm a follower of the Zawinskian/Wingist Schism ;}

As a lapsed SubGenius, I'm a big fan of religious schisms... But Not
That One! Heretic!

>> Dark room, black background, green text in Courier, lie on your back,
>> laptop balanced on beer-belly [optional - you can be thin and do this],
>
> Ah. Laptop. :)
>
>> one hand for the space bar and the other for your beer - what more do
>> you need?
>
> A strong arm, as a laptop is a hell of a lot heavier than a book?
> Enough money to not worry about getting beer on your laptop?

Surplus corporate high-end laptops - my current is a Thinkpad X22,
weighs 1.6kg. Also, all IBM stuff has proper "how to disassemble this"
manuals for if you *do* spill beer in it.

>> Oh, the *books*: well, I find gnutella has quite a lot, and since I'm
>> substituting my existing paper infrastructure I only have one working copy
>> at a time... [The other day I went to my local library, got a couple of
>> books out, then read the electronics copies on my laptop...]
>
> Hang on, you're transcribing books you don't have by hand?

No, not quite that insane. Getting books out of the library, and
downloading them off the net to read for convenience..
[snip nice keyboard]

>>> (Semi-serious there. I've seen *so many* people permanently injured by
>>> those fucking things...)
>>
>> 1 in 50 in the UK, I heard recently, have work-related RSI.
>
> That number doesn't surprise me at all. My colleagues are separated into
> five classes: those who don't believe in it, those who are fighting it
> and being careful, those who don't have it but can see what's going on
> around them and are also being careful, those who have it and aren't
> being careful enough because `it's just a few twinges', and those who
> have been forced into disability and unemployment by it.
>
> That last category is far, far too large, and growing all the time. (For
> my sins, I used to be in the `knew about it but thought it would never
> happen to *me*' category. O thou fool.)

I notice that the help-file for at least one of the Angband variants
includes as an FAQ: "Why do my wrists hurt?" and some useful advice and
stretching exercises...

>> It's the modern version of black-lung disease.
>
> With as little legislation against it. Stupid useless warning stickers
> and nothing else. (Well, OK, so there *is* legislation, but legislation
> that allows employers to foist more flat or nearly-flat QWERTY keyboards
> on people is worse than useless. I tried an MS Natural keyboard once. I
> didn't have RSI at the time but the damn thing nearly gave it to me on
> its own. Ow.)

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

> I have a union?

I was going to point you in the direction of one, but their web-site is
broken :->

> The problem with unions is the problem of all human organisations: if
> they're small they have no influence on employers (viz SAGE; nice idea,
> guys), and the larger they get the more they attract into their upper
> ranks the sort of people who like power for its own sake. And I really
> don't want to give more of *that* sort of human vermin any power over
> me.

Well, that's certainly true.

[snip]

>>                                  but if you *do, then you *should*
>> report it under RIDDOR.
>
> It doesn't look like a RIDDOR-reportable event to me unless it leads to
> complete inability to do my job. (In any case, I'm not self-employed, so
> doing this is my employer's responsibility, right? Thankfully I know the

AFAICR, you're entitled to fill in the company Accident Book at any
point in time; one part of the paperwork then has to be sent off to the HSE.

> guy who's job it is to do this, and he's not a pawn of the Evil
> Management. In fact the upper management is so un-evil that the ultimate
> boss has said that if this keyboard seems to work for me, he wants one
> to kill off *his* RSI. It's middle management that's being
> obstructionist.)

I believe that's their main role in life.

>>                         Mind you, if you do so, you will probably have
>> to use IE to get through their website.
>
> It seems to work for me in Galeon 1.3.21.

Probably it does; I was just amused to see that web page saying "Must
use IE"...

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk