[Gllug] SANs

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 18:25:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:44:00PM +0100, Steve Sims wrote:
> Everyone here seems really keen on GFS, and it does indeed look
> interesting.
>
> There seems to be one big problem though, which is it seems to be a
> Linux only solution.

I know SGI have CXFS, but I don't think it's at all cheap, and I think
you need an Altix to handle the metadata services (again, unlikely to be
cheap). It apparently works on quite a few platforms though (Linux,
Windows, Irix, at least. Probably OS X too?)

Oh, and if it's XFS+extras, it's likely to be a massive chunk of code to
have in a kernel (XFS is already pretty big and complex to put it mildly)

If you look at the linux-xfs archives, there were a few messages posted
once where there was a roundup of cluster filesystems... I think
about 5-10 were mentioned, mostly open source and for Linux and in
various stages of working-ness. GFS was one.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk