[Gllug] OpenSolaris

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 11:04:14 UTC 2005

On 28/09/05, John Hearns <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 18:16 +0100, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> > > Do I take it from your statement above and the following phrase on the
> > > site that Open Solaris isn't a complete running operating system?
> >
> > It does run. It includes Gnome desktop
> I think a certain GLLUG member might have had something to do with that.
> Richard are you still tuning in?

I'm in a bra factory in Sri Lanka.

And actually, no, I have nothing whatsoever to do with GNOME in
Solaris - and neither does anyone else in my (ex-)team.  It was a
completely separate project from the 2 significant 'free stuff in
Solaris' projects I worked on - the GNOME project was far far better
funded, and honestly, it shows.  I'm not a GNOME fan (nor a KDE fan!)
but I can say for a fact that Sun put a significant amount of time,
money, people and general effort into GNOME, both for Solaris and in
general - up to and including the fact that they were allowed to break
all sorts of rules which we'd tried and failed to break for years :-)

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk