[Gllug] [OT] TFT displays

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 10:13:56 UTC 2005

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>>http://www.eff.org/endangered/list.php
>

> You'll notice the bit you quoted there lists "FCC".  The Yanks use a
> completely different standard to that used elsewhere in the world.  It
> seems the copyright cartel's usual US-centric focus enabled the DVB
> standards to come out without them noticing.  The horse there has bolted.
>
> AFAIK, there is no move afoot to put restrictions on the outputs of DVB
> hardware.

I had noticed the usual US bias - but I had assumed (foolishly) that
this just represented US domination of the industry...

It would still be possible for legislation to hobble hardware in this
way - there are still very few people who have PC based PVR's so the
horse hasn't gotten out of the paddock yet ...

I recently go myself a portable DVD player and was watching a film on
the train for the first time last night - I was a bit shocked to find
that I couln't skip either the FACT propoganda or the corporate logos -
this was especially annoying as the film outlasted the battery!

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk