[Gllug] find how much RAM is available.

Pooly pooly7 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 21:34:26 UTC 2005

2005/9/28, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk>:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:32:13PM +0100, Pooly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a bit confused, I've unscrew my laptop to check if I can add some
> > RAM, and on the one I have, it's written, 256Mo,DDR,333,CL2.5. But
> > dmesg gives me :
> > Memory: 186036k/195520k available (1632k kernel code, 8856k reserved, 696k data,
> >  180k init, 0k highmem)
> > So, 256 gainst 196Mo... Which one should I believe ?
> > Should I go in the bios, tweaking it ? or add a param to Grub when I boot ?
> > Last, where is the best place to buy RAM in London ?
> > thank you,
> > --
> > Pooly
> > Webzine Rock : http://www.w-fenec.org/
>
> Some low end graphics cards that are integrated onto the motherboard
> use some of the system RAM as a cheaper but slower to having their own
> dedicated video RAM. Could this be the case here ?

I guess it is :
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378
[S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

> On a modern kernel and hardware, it's very rare to have to manually
> set the amount of RAM through a kernel boot parameter.
>
> As for the best place to buy RAM for a laptop, I usually find that
> few retail stores can stock all the different variations of SODIMMs
> and so tend to use mail order.

I rarely deal with hardware, and I tend to be quickly confused by all
the option... DDR, Mhz, number of pins, parity and so on...
How can I be sure what to buy ?
I have : 256Mo,DDR,333,CL2.5 written at the bottom and,
PC2700S-2533-0-A1 above. (It's an Acer Aspire 1353LM laptop)
any help appreciated :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk