[Gllug] Threaded email clients

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Wed Sep 7 09:50:59 UTC 2005

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
<snip>
> Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I do find it odd that
> people want a discussion to be represented in a linear form when
> without enforcing strict turn-taking, no discussion worth having can
> be so represented.

"Linear" is probably the word, given the appalling threading support
available in much (if not all) commonly-used corporate MUAs. Outlook
and Notes are particularly offensive in my limited experience. If there
was a better facility for representing the flow of a conversation in
these abominable bits of software, maybe the uptake of email etiquette
would be greater within the workplace and without.

bottom-posted mail, I've also heard horror stories of email bouncing
back and forth with "You didn't reply to my message" at the top, whilst
the reply was of course off the bottom of the screen below the original
message.

In these circumstances I'm sure it would be preferable to ease the path
by appropriate formatting; I'd also definitely agree that top-posting
and HTML mail are off-limits for a list of this type. Just my 2p.

> Of course I'm assuming people want to use email for collaboration.
> Has anyone had any luck using an alternative, such as a wiki, at
> work?

Many people seem to have enough difficulty dealing with email in a
corporate environment (having had it imposed upon them), without giving
them something like a wiki :-)

Anthony (waiting for Godwin)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk