[Gllug] "X connection to :0.0 broken"

Qingning Huo qingninghuo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 09:12:04 UTC 2005

On 9/26/05, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote:

> On 26/9/2005, "Qingning Huo" <qingninghuo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> >
> >Say I just run xclock from a terminal window and close it by clicking
> >the "X" button.  Sometime it quits normally, and at other times it
> >generates the above text, and then $? will be 1 instead of 0.
> >
> >Is it normal or does it indicate some kind of error?  Why does it
> >happen kind of randomly?
>
> It means the application has been killed.  If you close from inside the
> application (File > Quit), you won't get this message.  If you use the
> [X] icon (or whatever your window manager has for "close window"), the
> window manager will kill the application.

Did you mean killed by a signal?  I think the window manager (fluxbox
here) should send some X event to the X clients.  And, strace does not
show any signal received.  What strace does show is:

read(3, "", 32)                         = 0
write(2, "X connection to :0.0 broken (exp"..., 65) = 65
exit_group(1)                           = ?

It seems that fd=3 (a unix stream socket to /tmp/.X11-unix/X0) is
closed.  That's why it said "X connection to :0.0 broken".  But why
does it happen randomly?

Qingning
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk