[Gllug] /boot/boot/boot/boot

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Sep 7 15:21:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 08:57:30PM +0100, Ian wrote:
> >   Could it be something to do with having the option of a separate /boot
> >partition that is not actually within the main / partition?
>
> Yes, it's so that if /boot is a filesystem a bootloader which expects to
> find a directory called "boot" at the root of the filesystem can do so.
>
> I believe grub may require this if /boot is a filesystem, as grub,
> unlike lilo, can read filesystems.

Grub requires no such thing; it simply requires to be told the path,
from the root of the containing filesystem, to the files it uses.  There
are some broken grub installers out there in some distros, though, and
they may be responsible.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill