[Gllug] Looking for a printer recommendation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 23:23:09 UTC 2005

On Sun 04 Sep, Richard Jones wrote:

> Now I have no real idea about printers.  Inkjets are slow and
> expensive to run.  Does this afflict all makes of inkjet?  Last time I
> looked seriously at laser printers they all cost thousands of pounds
> and couldn't print in colour - well, that was 20 years ago.  I had a
> quick look on Google, and it looks like colour laser printers are a
> little bit cheaper now.  Are there any which are cheap to run, even if
> expensive to buy?  And not made by companies like HP which like to
> advertise how many patent monopolies they've been granted?

   Not sure about current printers, but Kyocera used to have a good
reputation with B&W lasers. I understand that they started as a ceramics
company, and designed an almost unbreakable drum, giving very low running
costs.
   You may need the maximum RAM available to build a complex 100% image,
although the standard amount may cope with mainly text.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk