[Gllug] Squid and proxy_auth

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Wed Sep 28 19:45:00 UTC 2005

Simon Morris wrote:
> Some sites that clients visit require authentication and I think what
> is happening is that Squid is sending out the users AD credentials
> rather than requesting the alternate name and password from the user.

If I understand your setup correctly then it's the browser that's
sending the credentials, not Squid.

HTTP is stateless, each time the browser makes a new request it must
reauthenticate.  For convenience your browser will store authentication
data and automatically forward it until either authentication is no
longer required, or the credentials become invalid.

Regards

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk