[Gllug] Squid and proxy_auth

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:39:56 UTC 2005

On 28/09/05, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at uk.clara.net> wrote:

> 407 seems to imply a proxy error, rather than a straightforward
> authorization failure; is this error in response to a failed
> authentication from the browser to a remote site or does the
> authentication prompt at the user's end fail to materialise and result
> in an immediate error?

The latter - clients invisibly pass their AD credentials to the proxy
server as part of the standard authentication and then don't get
prompted for the authentication from the end webserver.

I've done some looking around in tcpdump and Ethereal tonight and it
is a lot clearer to me what is happening. Once I've cleaned the domain
and NTLM stuff out of the packets I'll post them and share what is
going on.

So what I need to do is get Squid to re-prompt the user with a popup
authentication box if the end internet webserver rejects the NTLM (or
stop Squid passing that authentication to the Internet webserver at
all preferably)

Thanks

--
~sm