[Gllug] Threaded email clients

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 09:06:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 08:36 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 07 Sep, Peter Childs wrote:
> >
> > Most people actually perfer top posting because they can see what new
> > without having to scroll or read through alot of old rubbish. I've
> > actually had customers complain about bottom posting.
>
>    The argument is not top v bottom posting but in favour of properly edited
> and inserted posting, so that the new text sits correctly by the original
> where it is appropriate.

I believe in some cases the argument *is* top v bottom, in a wider
sense, because I think well-edited bottom posting with threading gives
you a much better representation of what happens to a topic when it gets
discussed by lots of people with different opinions and priorities, and
that is exactly what some people don't like. They find it too
democratic, and top-posting's similarity to a tangled audit-trail well
suits their illusions of (top-down) control.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I do find it odd that people
want a discussion to be represented in a linear form when without
enforcing strict turn-taking, no discussion worth having can be so
represented.

Of course I'm assuming people want to use email for collaboration. Has
anyone had any luck using an alternative, such as a wiki, at work?

TomSW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk